Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin

The Kremlin is an enjoyable place to have a rest and take a walk. This is a fortress built according to the schemes by Leonardo da Vinci. No enemy army has managed to seize this unassailable fortress located in the historical centre of Nizhny Novgorod. 13 towers and a two kilometers long fortress wall have been preserved up to now. The walls are up to 5 meter wide at the foundation. Within the wall area, the administration buildings are situated, the seat of Nizhny Novgorod government. In the Kremlin towers you can find different expositions and have a walk along a part of the wall opened for visitors.

Cableway

Between Nizhny Novgorod and Bor, its satellite town, there is a cableway, which is not only a vehicle, but also a tourist attraction of the city. There are 28 cabins on the route, which in 12.5 minutes will not only take you to another point, but also impress you aesthetically: from the window you can see the Pechersky Monastery, the Chkalov Stairs and the slopes of the Oka and the Volga.

The Chkalov Stairs

The Chkalov stairs are one of the longest stairs in Russia. The 560-step stairs were built by German prisoners of war. The construction was to commemorate the victory of the Soviet troops in the battle of Stalingrad. The works were completed in 1949. At the top of the stairs, a monument to the pilot Valery Chkalov is erected. Every year on June 12 (the Day of Russia), runners’ races are arranged on the stairs. The fastest runner receives a car as a prize.

Bolshaya Pokrovskaya St.

The main pedestrian street of Nizhny Novgorod built up with noble mansions of past centuries. Here, there are many interesting sights: Verkhniy Posad, Chamber of Commerce, Drama and Puppet Theaters, House of Trade Unions. The street became the city’s main artery in the 18th century.

Main Fair house

The Nizhny Novgorod fair is a phenomenon that is called a national treasure. Its history goes more than four centuries back.
Being on a half way of the main waterway of Russia, Volga, in close proximity to Moscow, the Nizhny Novgorod fair had an important function of the “exchange yard of Europe with Asia”.
Opened in 1890, the “Main house” stands out from the buildings of the fair. In the trade period, there were the apartment of the Governor and his office, fair administration institutions, branches of the state Bank etc. here. In the ground floor there is an extensive passage for retailing, the best among the few such passages at the fair.
(Address-calendar. 1916)

Rukavishnikov Estate

The object of cultural heritage of the 19th century. The mansion was owned by the family of industrialist Rukavishnikov, who turned an ordinary merchant's house into a real city Palace. The facade was lavishly decorated with bas-reliefs and figures, the halls had elegant ceiling and wall paintings. At the end of the 19th century the mansion was the most luxurious house in Nizhny Novgorod. During the tour of the building you can learn the history of the Rukavishnikov family.

State Bank building

A bizarre structure of the early 20th century in the “neo-Russian” style. It was erected to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Romanovs dynasty. It was even visited by Emperor Nicholas II. The interiors are decorated in the Imperial Palace style as it was customary in the late Imperial era. The building remains intact and is used as a Bank office.

Nizhny Novgorod Drama Theater

Nizhny Novgorod Academic Drama Theater dating back to the end of the 18th century, is one of the oldest theaters in Russia. The first performance was a presentation of a play by Denis Fonvizin. At first, the troupe consisted of serfs. The first building was not graceful, and contemporaries described it as “gloomy and clumsy.” However, as a result of numerous reconstructions, it looks far more attractive now.

Pechersky Ascension Monastery

The Pechersky Ascension Monastery located on the Volga bank was founded by a monk from Kievo-Pecherskaya Lavra in the 14th century. In the Middle Ages it was an important spiritual and religious centre of Orthodoxy in the Volga region. In the 16th century the monastery was destroyed by a landslide but the monks managed to save most of the things including church properties. The monastery was rebuilt upstream. The architectural complex that we see nowadays consists of the buildings of the 17th century.

Nizhny Novgorod Planetarium

The history of Nizhny Novgorod Planetarium began three years after the victory in the Great Patriotic War. Like many other planetariums in the USSR, it was housed in a former religious building, the Alexy Church.
The relocation to the new building in 2005 was the second birth for the planetarium. Today, Nizhny Novgorod Planetarium is a whole complex which includes the Big Star Hall and small halls “Astronomy”, “Cosmonautics”, “Planet” and “Observatory”.
In 2016, Nizhny Novgorod Planetarium was named after the famous cosmonaut, twice the Hero of the Soviet Union Georgy Grechko.
Full-domed programmes of Nizhny Novgorod Planetarium have repeatedly become a part of international competitions. Nizhny Novgorod Planetarium is a prizewinner of the International Festival of scientific popular full-domed programmes for planetariums “Reflections of the Universe” (2013, 2015, 2017).